Monday, March 7, 2011

Finally back to running!

   After 6 months of non-running I got to run a 1/4 mile today on the track.  God I love running!

   On September 12, 2010 while on a trail run at Devil's Den State Park with a group of friends on a fun trail run.  I tried to run/hop/jump over a fallen tree......I didn't make it.  I fell two feet to the ground with all my weight on to my right ankle and rolled it with a loud snap.  After laying on the ground for a couple of minutes and catching my breath from the excruciating pain coming from my ankle I realized that I had to get back to the car 3 MILES AWAY!  Tony Rogers who was running with me tried to help me but I was to big to carry and our cellphones did not work.  So I had to walk with a large stick as a cane that Tony found for me back to the car.  I made it 3 hours later and went to the hospital ER after a quick stop at home for a shower.  At the ER the staff told me nothing was broken and that I had a sprained ankle.  They gave me an ace bandage and some Tylenol 3 and told me to set up an appointment with the Orthopedist in the morning.

    That was 6 months ago.  I ended up having an MRI and finding out that I had torn almost all of the ligaments and tendons in my ankle.  This destruction meant surgery.  I had surgery to repair my ankle on December 19th.  The repair consisted of  75 Kevlar stitches a skin graphed from a cadaver and another 100 dis-solvable stitches to close the whole thing up.  I got to ride on a cool scooter and did lots of PT with Stephen Joseph (He is very good if you need physical therapy).

    Now I am back to running......slowly and little bits at a time but back running and it feels so good.  My goal for the year is to not get hurt again and be able to run longer and stronger than ever.  I really want to run the NYC marathon this year and another 100 mile race in the fall.  But for now it is a 1/4 mile at a time.  As Tom says slow and steady wins the race...for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment